In order to travel in the Russia Federation, non-Russian citizens must have a valid passport from their country of citizenship. Please check with your country’s state department about how to obtain a passport. Pay careful attention to the length of time it takes to receive your passport, as you must have a valid passport before you can begin the visa application process.
For United States citizens, click here for information about how to apply for or renew a US passport.
The citizens of most countries in the world must have a valid tourist visa in order to tour in the Russian Federation. You must have a passport that is valid for 3 months past your planned exit date in order to obtain a Russian visa. The process and cost of obtaining a visa to Russia is different for each country of citizenship.
Click here for a list of countries that do not need visas for tourist travel in the Russian Federation.
For non-US citizens who must obtain a visa to travel to Russia, please contact Elbrus Elevation and we will do everything we can to assist you.
You are responsible for the purchase of your own airfare. If you are traveling with a group, it is recommended that you buy all tickets at the same time in order to ensure that you are able to travel together. You may also choose to use a travel agency to purchase your tickets. This is not always the least expensive route, but does sometimes offer interesting deals and route options, especially for groups.
If you decide to book your own tickets, be sure to allow plenty of time for layovers and transportation from place to place. It can be confusing in a new place. You do not want to be distracted or rushed as you may miss something important or be unable to pay close attention to your safety. Also, know what the time change will be. Be aware that plane tickets and airport times will always be in local time.
Before booking tickets, please confirm with Elbrus Elevation a window of available dates for your tour. You are booking tickets into Mineralnye Vody (MRV). Route through Moscow (SVO). Round trip tickets from the United States usually cost between $1,200 and $2,000.
Contact Elbrus Elevation if you have any questions or would like advice on the purchase of your tickets.
Each group member will need to purchase travel insurance if overseas travel is not already covered under his/her current plan. This is required by Elbrus Elevation. Please send proof of insurance to Elbrus Elevation once you have confirmed coverage for overseas travel. The US visa application asks for your policy information.
Elbrus Elevation provides a detailed packing list for your convenience as you prepare for your tour.
Whether you are a pro or a novice, packing for an international trip that includes several different activities—like time in the city and time on tour—can be daunting. We have a lot of experience with traveling ourselves and with travelers, so we have compiled some packing tips we think will help as you prepare for your adventure in the North Caucasus.
- You will arrive on the international side of Sherimetova International Airport (SVO).
- Pick up your immigration card. DO NOT lose it or throw it away.
- Check for your bags at the international baggage terminal.
- Unless you checked in with Aeroflot in your country of departure, your bags are NOT checked through to Min Vody (MRV)! YOU HAVE TO PICK THEM UP!
- If, in the course of your journey, you have checked all of your bags with an Aeroflot agent (not an affiliate), it is possible that your bags have been checked all the way to Min Vody (MRV).
- Wait for your bags at international baggage claim. If they do not arrive, double check with the attendant that they have been checked through to MRV on Aeroflot.
- Exit security in the international terminal (as if you were leaving the airport) and walk to the domestic check-in.
- If you checked in with Aeroflot prior to arrival in Russia, you may already have your boarding pass. If that is the case, you can skip the next two steps.
- Check-in at the domestic check-in counter. Check your ticket to determine which airline.
- Recheck your bags with the domestic airline.
- Go through domestic security to your gate.